June 5, 2013

 
In 1878 Dr. Charles Douglas of Dexter, New York made a series of sketches of Carleton Island that he gave to his daughter, Helen A. Douglas of Black River. The original sketches, that included several views of Fort Haldimand, Chimneys and earth works as well as a few structures, are in the Jefferson County Historical Society in Watertown, New York. The 1878 sketch of North Bay is from Fort Haldimand at the top if the cliff looking down into North Bay with part of the head of the island in view. In the 1810 map by Colonel Gray the point was called Aubrey Head.